Screwed up my MC and don't know what to do. Help!

I’m a bit freaked out right now cause I made a big boo boo.

Last night, I was trying to get on but I launched 1.9 instead of 1.11. I right-clicked on the MC thing as it was opening and clicked “Close Tab” and switched to 1.11 and launched it. My MC automatically launches in full screen, and I think this is what’s causing the problem, but when MC is open it just flickers black. To get out, I have to spam-click on Chrome in my task bar until I can close MC manually or until it crashes.

A couple other things to note:
- I’m using the experimental launcher, which is being rolled out to everyone Friday.
- I was using OptiFine for both 1.9 and 1.11, but this happens in every version.

I’ve already tried deleting and re-downloading the launcher but that didn’t seem to work. And that’s about the extent of my knowledge. I’m scared to touch my game files cause I don’t want to corrupt anything. Does anyone have any advice as to what to do?

Until this all gets sorted out, I’ll be resorting to Minechat if I want to get on. Hopefully I’m back in action soon.

RIP. Sorry I am not a cool tech guy, the only thing I can do is pray for you.
<3

Can’t you run it with launch option -windowed

Do I put that in the JVM Arguments section?

worth a try isnt it

Did not work.

I found a way to reset the in-game options through the files so I’m gonna try that.

EDIT: Manually fixed the fullscreen option through the options.txt file. Minecraft no longer flickers, but it plain white instead. I can click on “buttons” and get the sound effect but I can’t see anything.

Did you try turning your computer off and on again? - You’re friendly network admin hehe

jk
try these steps:

1. Device Manager > Graphics Adapters > Update Drivers (if available)
  2. Uninstall minecraft including manually removing any left overs in “C:\Users<%USERNAME%>\AppData\Roaming.minecraft” (Copy out the “saves” folder to save local minecraft games) Then re-download and re-install minecraft.
  3. Give up all hope

Updating the drivers did not work. Still the same situation as before.

I’m currently deleting my .minecraft folder, and I made backups of saves, texture packs, and logs. As I’m typing this, my computer is recycling the 60k+ items in my .minecraft folder. I will let you know what happened when the process is done. It’s probably gonna take a while.

EDIT 1: Took literally no time at all. Currently re-installing.

IT’S STILL FUCKING WHITE!

I have officially lost hope. I’ll probably make a Reddit post later and see if anyone has a solution over there.

It was nice knowing you all.

or…

Get a Mac and don’t deal with random problems like this ever again? hehehe

Tough luck.

I hope you get this problem resolved, Ferf. I don’t know that much about the interior of a computer, but I do think posting this issue on Reddit is a good idea. Good luck.

Do you think this is a computer problem or a files problem? I would recommend testing MC on another computer and see what happens. You might also want to check the MC FAQ’s. I will try to help you resolve this issue!

My prescribed treatment for your problem is to factory reset your computer burn all your friends.

If that does not work, see me for another consultation.

Are you sure the issue is to blame on you switching versions?

I had a similar issue to this last week where my MC would fuck out and be all white/black upon selected play from the launcher - turned out the video drivers were acting goofy. Reinstalled video drivers and all was well. Worth a shot.

pretty sure it’s your graphics card fucking up.

Welp, I dont understand much of informatics and computer science, but good luck Ferf, hopefully you will be back soon!

If your drivers are up to date and you reinstalled minecraft, my best guess is that something is fucked up with Java. Update that if you can.

don’t

Just tried launching my game and suddenly I’m all better?

The only thing that I can think of that may have fixed it is restarting my computer? rip

Anyways, everything should be back to normal. Thank you for enduring my mini-freakout and lack of computer knowledge.