Big City

There have been numerous questions raised about the Big City map, therefore I have compiled a list of commonly asked questions and their answers.

What is Big City?
Big City is the large-scale project currently being developed by our team of builders and operators. It is a life size city (in proportion to your character) complete with proper infrastructure (subways, sewage, roads, etc), an abudance of skyscrapers and typical buildings (malls, factories, apartments).

Why can only Advanced Builders build on the map?
To combat griefing. Whilst we do eliminate the vast majority of griefers from the server, there are still instances where it can occur and we would rather not take the risk.

Is the map size fixed?
Yes and no. Yes, the map size remains fixed while we further build and develop. However, when the land is completely filled, we expand.

Can I visit the map?
Guests can easily reach the map via portals in the lobby upon joining the server. As previously stated however, you will not be able to build or destroy in the map without the rank of Advanced Builder.

I’m an advanced builder but I have no idea what to build!

Look around in your city and build what you see, but be aware of the zoning scheme that may be read about here: http://projectcitybuild.com/forum/index.php?topic=8.0. Buildings should be a mix between reality and creativity.

I thought of idea of underground zoning. The problem is that there is a subway system and a sunken highway, which are not protected, so one may damage them when building further underground. I believe the tunnels are in fairly good shape, hence they could be zoned already. Perhaps they can be unzoned later by request for subway expansion.

Also, underground parts of some buildings extend beyond their footprints. Shouldn’t be anything done about it?

It’s been a few months since andy started this forum, and added these pictures. A lot have changed from then. Perhaps some new pictures for the new Big City? :smiley:

This is a good point, but unfortunately, when building underground, it isnt exactally easy to know where the edge of your plot is…
maybe adding adminium dividers, which run all the way to the base of the map, to split up sections as in guestcity? if a larger area was needed, an op could remove the adminium divider.

I believe that being able to build carefully with attention to others’ property is what makes an adv. Adminium dividers are more an anti-grieving measure, and making them all the way down restricts expansion of sewers/subway/underground walkways. Whats I suggest is a probation period of two weeks that would be enough to fix non-conforming buildings.

why dont make like flatgrass! just free but not in other buildings :smiley:

That’s exactly why we have a flatgrass…