Server Greeting/Intro

Hello PCB staff! One small but important suggestion here. In my days of PCB I have discovered that when a new member joins, its sort of difficult to get them to understand what the server is and how it works. So a recent idea that came to my mind was to add a form of ‘intro’ to PCB when a new member joins. For example the server Mineplex has a help button you push that physically will teleport you around the server. In their case its just a spawn. But in our case it could teleport you around the map with captions showing you the rules.

-Teleport ideas so far

*One form of teleport I had in my mind was a teleport to a map that has a spacer on it showing the 200 block rule.
*Another teleport idea would be to show off some of big city and show what the server is all about.

[hr]

P.S.

This is also very possible with command blocks so it is plugin free.

Example video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6taEkAvR0BE

I don’t really have any further details of what I’m trying to imply here so maybe we could build off of feedback. ;D

Something like that is very possible and I could whip it up if there’s enough of a demand for it. I think it would be very useful.

I think this would greatly help with new players

I think this is a great idea! I know I’d be down to build “tutorial rooms” for new members :wink:

Ressurecting this topic. @MrFerf do you think we should do this? I’m not fussed either way but I think it could be helpful.

It’s doable yeah – maybe not the same way Mineplex does it (it’d be harder to coordinate a set of cross-world teleports with commands and all that) but it’s not impossible.

Maybe with a command block (chained with time delays or even a series of repeaters?) I’m happy to help out, could be a fun project :slight_smile:

This sounds good to me and maybe you could show some of our cities as well for a good first impression

Nice and subtle plug there hywel

Honestly, stuff like this annoys me. When I join a server I just want to play the game, rather than have everything thrown in my face. Although I do understand that it could be useful, thats just my personal opinion. Also, having other people welcome a newcomer and show them the ropes shows a caring server with a close-knit community. When you join a “big” server and everything is thrown at you, it shows a cold and uncaring server. Again, thats just my personal opinion, if everyone else feels like its a good idea then go for it.

1 Like

I agree with this. I think something that teleports people around could detach people from the community from the get-go. Perhaps we could force Lewis to build another amusement park/rollercoaster ride that people could ride in spawn voluntarily, as a sort of fun introduction?

I’m not convinced a tour would work for the kind of server PCB is. It’s somewhat necessary for a server like Mineplex because of how customised it is, but we’re essentially just a standard MC server.

Alright, looks like a no for now. Locking this up, denied.

Just want to add if this were ever done, it’d need to be optional and might even be best if we used dioramas or snippets of maps placed in Dev so that the teleporting isnt across worlds. Also would make it easier to pick and choose what we show (like if a map is reset we still have the intro working even though the map itself is replaced/gone)

1 Like

Yeah, it’d be unnecessarily complicated to coordinate something like this cross-world. My intention should this get done ever was to have an optional teleport in the main spawn to a stitched-together area like you’re describing. I wanted to make it interactive also so people feel immediately engaged and get a good sense of what the server’s all about.

But since there’s some opposition at the moment and I don’t think I have the drive to give this a shot right now, this is best left for another time. Doesn’t mean it won’t ever happen, though.